Want to save a few extra dollars and carrying weight for your next trip? Start by choosing to travel light with a carry-on suitcase. There are hundreds of articles on this topic. But why? Because after traveling a few times people realized they did not need 6 pairs of shoes, their entire wardrobe, and whole makeup room to feel happy and relaxed on their trip. And those people want the world to know traveling light is quite freeing.
WHY TO PACK THIS WAY
- Packing this way helps you to stay organized during your entire trip. Since you have small amount of limited space, your things will not get lost in your suitcase.
- Also, there is less mess of cleaning and unpacking afterwards.
- There is the chance of the airlines losing your checked luggage. Traveling is a time to relax and explore the world. Last thing you should be worried about is if your luggage arrived at the same destination as you.
- It saves you 25$-35$ for every checked luggage each way(unless you are flying international, maybe you don’t get charged.)
- No waiting at baggage claims
- Less heavy weight to be dragging behind you
- You can always wash your clothes at a nearby laundromat
DESTINATIONS TO PACK FOR
- International flights
- Domestic flights
- Car trips
- Bus road trips
EXAMPLE OF WHAT TO PACK
This is a whole subject on it’s own but I’ll quickly skim through what I’ve recently been packing on my trips, and whats worked for me. During my recent 5 day trip to NC, and I over packed by a few items. This amount of stuff would be good for 2 weeks at least. This is what I fit into my carry-on suitcase. And I had spare room in the front two pockets and inside.
- thirteen pieces of regular clothing( 4 of which I wore on my flight)
- camera gear
- 3 pairs of shoes( one I wore)
- light jacket
- 3 tank tops
- 2 t-shirts
- 2 flannels
- 1 dress
- 3 pairs underwear, 3 sock pairs
The rest of my random things I packed in my travel tote bag iPad, wallet, makeup bag etc…Check out my previous article on What to pack in your carry-on personal bag that is part one to Travel Light series.
FEW THINGS TO KEEP IN MIND
If you are flying, there are weight limits and size restrictions for carry-ons, and make sure you can at least lift your suitcase into the overhead bin. If you are flying a small airplane most of the time airlines will let you check in your carry-on bags for free at the boarding gates at no charge ( I’ve been doing that recently). Research airline regulations of what is allowed in a carry-on and work from there. This sort of packing is not for everyone. If you’ve never packed this way before, try by heading out on a short getaway. You’ll start by getting an idea of packing what you really need instead of grabbing everything you want. Challenge yourself to pack light this year. Your trips, hands, mind, and body will thank you. Happy travels to all you heading out for your getaways this year !!
Your turn!! How do you pack? What other suggestions would you recommend for traveling light?